What is Monograph?
Monograph is modernizing design professionals’ back office with a beautiful, data-driven platform to help them manage, plan and grow their companies. Our mission is to let architects get back to doing what they love and do best—design—not finance, management or Excel.
Why work at Monograph?
- People first: You are an (awesome) human before an employee—we believe in people first and empathy. You'll be our ambassador and deploy your genuine value for relationships to drive success and happiness.
- Create a tool that will redefine architecture: Project management is just the beginning. We are starting to help facilitate the entire design process from becoming the document source of truth to coordinating with consultants. You can shape the future of building design.
- Work with some of the best product people in the world: From working with companies like IrisVR, WeWork, and Figma, we're a team of highly productive individual contributors with a strong design background. You will be doing some of the best work of your life.
So, what will you do at Monograph as a Staff Backend Engineer?
- Craft beautiful, fast code: We celebrate engineering finely crafted code that is performant. Nothing gets our team more excited than an elegant solution to a complex customer issue that delivers value.
- Build resilient, flexible systems: Our product is used by thousands of people daily and requires both a systems mindset and an empathetic perspective to help make productive changes.
- Collaborate with customers: Working towards long term goals while listening to customer needs, our product team is focused on scaling the a fundamental business platform for our customers.
Who would perform well at this role?
- Product focused: As a senior engineer, we expect you to make difficult tradeoff decisions. Long-term focus or immediate value? While that's a tough choice, we privilege an engineer with a proven track record of focusing on customer results. What does it take for our customer to get their job done (both today and in the long-term)?
- Fast Learner: As a small company, Monograph is growing rapidly. To succeed in this role you'll need to posses a self-driven personality and inquisitive character who craves new challenges.
- Team leader: With the role of senior engineer, you should enjoy and thrive in guiding engineering decisions, mentoring younger engineers, and working cross functionally.
What skills do you need?
- Ruby on Rails: Our backend is a Rails monolith and is growing to handle tons of data and requests. You should have experience in a Rails environment that has scaled beyond 10k daily users. Experience working with a React frontend and/or moving from REST to GraphQL in Rails helps as we build out our stack.
- Product mindset: As a small team, product prioritization is critical. You need to have proven working experience across teams in a SaaS product and an ability to point to specific instances where fast iteration or long-term thinking made dramatic product improvements
- Automated tests: With our product growing in complexity, we need more confidence in pushing new changes. You need to have experience writing automated tests and have developed methods/strategies/etc for prioritizing which type (unit, integration, feature) and quantity of tests to enable the product to move quickly, reliably.
- Architecture familiarity (the building kind)
- Fan of Sandi Metz
- Shipped backend code in another language
- Sunny disposition
What benefits can you expect?
- 4-day work week (32hrs)
- Health and dental insurance
- New laptop/equipment of your choice
- Cover letter review over email: Your first touch point is the initial email you send us. As a remote team, we value articulate, succinct expression of important points. This step may include follow up questions and clarifications.
- Video chat screen (30 min): You give us an opportunity to meet and ask each other questions. We'll talk 50:50 about career and life. With a 4-day work week, we're especially curious what you might do on your day off.
- Paid take-home test or project presentation (1 hr): For the take-home test option, we send over a prompt in Github for you to build a project in ruby (estimated 3hrs of work) which you can then present to our engineering team. For the project presentation option, you'll present the project that's most interesting to you or that you're most proud of to our team.
- Team meeting (1hr): You'll get a chance to meet other members of the team including success, marketing, and sales to get a vibe of our culture and how you might fit in.
- CEO meeting (30min): You have made it this far! This is your final meeting and gives you the chance to ask more high-level questions about the mission and goals of Monograph and yourself.
Is this role only full-time? Can I work remotely?
This role is full-time and a fully remote position based in the United States.
What is the company culture like?
Our amazing friend Lynne interviewed us about our company culture—read about it on her website Key Values.
What efforts are you making in terms of increasing diversity & inclusion within your company?
With two minority founders and a new parent founder, we're focused on having a welcoming environment for all backgrounds and experiences. We actively source candidates from non-traditional backgrounds knowing that diversity in thought and education ultimately results in a better company. We also have solid work-life balance (32hrs/week), knowing that there's a lot more in your life than just your job.